Ask the RD: What Foods Keep our Mind Sharp?
You can find several brain-boosting nutrients in a variety of foods. Try these foods alone or add them as toppings or mix-ins to meals. Try making a trail mix with nuts and/or seeds, dried fruit, and granola for a complete nutritious snack.
- Boron: Improves attention span, focus, and memory
- Examples: Apples, almonds, bananas, walnuts, raisins, chickpeas, avocado
- Flavanol: Improves memory, reasoning, and numerical ability
- Examples: Blueberries, strawberries, bananas, apples, green tea, grapefruit, peppers, tomato, eggplant
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids: Increases memory and concentration
- Examples: Walnuts, flax, pumpkin seeds, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, salmon, tuna
- Vitamin B12: Improves cognition
- Examples: Granola, cereal, egg, cheese, milk, tuna, salmon, shellfish, beef